Behind The Name


BEHIND THE NAME: 'JESSICA'

This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice' (1596), where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH, which would have been spelled Jescha in his time. It was not commonly used as a given name until the middle of the 20th century.

Meaning: "gracious gift from God"

OTHER LANGUAGES: Iscah, Jescha (Biblical), Yiskah (Biblical Hebrew), Iekika (Hawaiian), Yessica (Spanish

Why I was named Jessica: My father's very close Christian friend told my father about the meaning of the name 'Jessica' and suggested it for me. Everybody in my family loved it and agreed that it was the perfect name for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the name: 'Anika'

Behind the name: 'Kavya'

Miiraas - The Heritage Club